What is The Taxpayer Advocate Service?
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is Your Voice at the IRS!
Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) Mission: As an independent organization within the IRS, we help taxpayers resolve problems with the IRS and recommend changes that will prevent the problems.
Here are seven things every taxpayer should know about TAS:
1. TAS is your voice at the IRS.
2. Our service is free, confidential, and tailored to meet your needs.
3. You may be eligible for TAS help if you have tried to resolve your tax problem through normal IRS channels and have gotten nowhere, or you believe an IRS procedure just isn’t working as it should.
4. TAS helps taxpayers whose problems are causing financial difficulty or significant cost, including the cost of professional representation. This includes businesses as well as individuals.
5. TAS employees know the IRS and how to navigate it. We will listen to your problem, help you understand what needs to be done to resolve it, and stay with you every step of the way until your problem is resolved.
6. TAS has at least one local taxpayer advocate in every state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. You can call your local advocate, whose number is in your phone book, in Publication 1546, Taxpayer Advocate Service — Your Voice at the IRS, and on our website at Contact Your Advocate. You can also call our toll-free case intake line at 1-877-777-4778.
7. You can learn about your rights and responsibilities as a taxpayer by visiting our online tax toolkit at www.taxtoolkit.irs.gov .